And If you coupon you can buy these items for under $2.00!**
15.5oz can Cannellini or White Beans
14.5oz can of Diced Tomatoes
Chicken Broth – low sodium preferably
Veggies - Onion*, Carrots, Zucchini*, Celery, Spinach Leaves
Parmesan Cheese (Optional)
Seasoning - Thyme, Sage, Garlic, Salt & Pepper
*I am not a fan of onions so I typically leave it out. Also if I don’t have zucchini on hand I use squash!
Click Read More if you would like the full recipe!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED: Serves 6
One 15.5oz cab cannellini or white beans – rinsed & drained
One 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes with juices
4 Cups Chicken Broth
½ Large Onion – Diced (about 1 cup)
1 Zucchini – Diced (about 1.5 cups)
1 Carrot – Diced (about ½ cup)
2 stalks celery – Diced (about ½ cup)
2oz baby spinach leaves - Chopped (about 2 cups)
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 clove garlic – Minced (about 1 Tsp)
1 Tsp Thyme
½ Tsp Sage
¼ Tsp Pepper (or to taste)
½ Tsp Salt (or to taste)
1. I usually start by chopping all veggies. Then in a small bowl mash ½ of the beans with a spoon or masher & set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, zucchini, carrot celery, garlic, thyme, sage, sale & pepper. Stir occasionally until veggies are tender. (About 5 minutes or so)
3. Add the Broth & tomatoes and bring to a boil (I occasionally use the tomato cans that have added seasoning. It just depends what I have on hand).
4. Add the mashed and whole beans. I usually cook the beans for 3 minutes and then add the Spinach Leave to the pot. Cook for 3 minutes or until the spinach leaves are wilted. (According to the actual recipe you can add the spinach leaves to the pot along with the beans and cook for 3 minutes or until Spinach leaves are wilted)
5. Serve & add Parmesan Cheese!
White beans – Bush’s beans are on sale for .69 at Homeland. Coupon: Use 1.00/3 Bush’s Chili Beans – Newspaper Coupon
Can of Tomatoes – Estimated cost $.50. Whenever Homeland has them on sale for .29 I stock up! Coupon: Use .55/3 Red Gold Tomatoes - Printable Coupon
Chicken Broth – Common sale price $2.00 or less. Coupon: Use 1.00/2 Campbell’s Chicken Broth – Printable Coupon
Veggies - You can get the veggies at Aldi for a reasonable price. I got the squash, carrots & celery from my bountiful basket - http://www.couponing4charity.com/blog/get-fruits-veggies-for-under-20
If you coupon: 6 servings = $1.07 ($.18 per serving)** Since I shop at Homeland, my coupons double.
**Price doesn’t include veggies or seasoning. Price is also based on common sale prices.